Massive sound changes / fix (24/32bit pcm support, new sampling rate converter, various fixes)

Ariff Abdullah skywizard at MyBSD.org.my
Wed Jul 13 14:16:36 GMT 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:21:57 +0200
Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:
> Ariff Abdullah <skywizard at MyBSD.org.my> wrote:
>
> > More good news is, I've already added sysctl controller to tune
> > vchan rate on the fly, something like sysctl
> > hw.snd.pcm0.vchanrate=xxx. Stay tuned.
>
> While a sysctl is an easy solution, I don't think we should go this
> route. A sysctl is only settable by root, but such device specific
> sound tuning (or more abstract: user changeable parts) should be
> made user configurable, e.g. with a .ctl device in /dev and an ioctl
> interface (or maybe an extended ioctl interface for /dev/dsp*). A
> sndctl application (or the mixer application in case of switching to
> spdif output) can then change it without the need for superuser
> privileges.

I do agree with you, in fact, I have few ideas in mind to implement
something like user personal configs (yuck!, not my preferences). I
think we should go with sndctl, at the cost of adding few more ioctls
and perhaps incompatibilities. Talking about incompatibilities,
first, our mixer infrastructure need to be revamped. It's just too
old, too crude to handle modern soundcards. Pretty hard to tame it,
really, yet possible.

Currently all these sysctls and knobs are just to aid debugging,
something for developers to tinker with. I believe this will be
changed in near future.

Thanks for that suggestion.

--

Ariff Abdullah