external sound card under FreeBSD 5.4

Kazuhito HONDA kazuhito at ph.noda.tus.ac.jp
Sun Dec 11 22:49:13 PST 2005

Excuse me for long absence.

From: Sandor Z Nemeth <nemeths at for.mat.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: external sound card under FreeBSD 5.4
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:56:44 +0000 (GMT)

> My mixer setting is currently
>
> Mixer speaker  is currently set to 100:100
> Mixer line     is currently set to 100:100
> Recording source: mic
>
> Does this mean that I have no recording device at the moment? Should I
> have a line "Mixer rec"? How can I get a recording device?

It doesn't mean that.
FreeBSD can't recognize which a volume of USB audio
is for the purpose of recording or not.
But it isn't concerned with detection of a recording port.
(`Recording source: mic' has no mean for this device.
When the wiring for recording doesn't have the selector,
FreeBSD show it.
Though SB external 24bit has two port for recording,
line-in and mic, these appear as one port for computer.)

I have the same USB audio device,
and I can record with it on FreeBSD-current.
We must be able to record on FreeBSD after 5-stable.
But we can't record on FreeBSD 5.4.

Sincerely yours,
Kazuhito HONDA