c-media 8738-MC6

Mon Dec 5 01:58:04 PST 2005

Todor Aleksandrov <yodor at developer.bg> wrote:

> I have a box with cmedia 8738-mc6 pci card. I can get only stereo
> playback with it, while the card is supporting 5.1 channels. Works
> fine on linux using mplayer -channels 6 ...
> I've appied the patch from  http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/
> I can get the new sampling rates working. Is there any chance I can
> get this card running in multichannel 5.1 mode ?

ONly if you want to contribute the necessary code...

> FreeBSD blackbox.eta3.local 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #13: Sun

Some comments not related to your question:

> options         SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
> #options        SCHED_4BSD              # 4BSD scheduler
> #options        PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread preemption

You commented PREEMPTION out here and added it at the end again...

> # Pseudo devices.
> device          loop            # Network loopback
> device          random          # Entropy device
> device          ether           # Ethernet support
> device          sl              # Kernel SLIP
> device          ppp             # Kernel PPP
> device          tun             # Packet tunnel.
> device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
> device          md              # Memory "disks"
> device          gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
> device          faith           # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

You disable INET6, so you don't need the IPv6 parts. And if you do not
explicitly use the kernel ppp, you also don't need ppp (the userland ppp
uses the tun device). I also don't think you need "sl" if you have a NIC...

> options CPU_UPGRADE_HW_CACHE

As long as you don't have PC98 hardware, this is useless.

> options CPU_FASTER_5X86_FPU

I think this only applies to Cyrix 5x86 CPUs, but I'm not sure...

> options CPU_ATHLON_SSE_HACK

So your BIOS fails to active the SSE extension of your Athlon? If this is not
the case, the option is not needed.

> options AUTO_EOI_1
> options AUTO_EOI_2

Uh... if you see strange failures you can't explain, remove them. I used them
too for a while (long ago), but then I encountered some problems which I
fixed by removing those options.

Bye,
Alexander.

If you go out of your mind, do it quietly,
so as not to disturb those around you.