TV tuner woes

Jacob Meuser jakemsr at jakemsr.com
Sat Apr 30 01:03:54 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 02:42:55PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> I've been having troubles with three different TV tuner cards, none of
> which I can get to work.  Here's an overview:
>
> 1.  A Hauppauge PVR-150 card.  This seems to be a cheaper version of
>     the PVR-250, which is supported outside the tree.  I sent a
>     message to this mailing list about this card a few hours ago, so I
>     won't repeat.  If you haven't already read it (Subject: Re:
>     FreeBSD 4.9 / 5.3 Hauppauge PVR-250 / 350 ...), take a look.
>
> 2.  An el cheapo BT 878 card.  The card itself is recognized and
>     supported by the bktr driver:
>
>     bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xdddfe000-0xdddfefff irq 17 at device 6.0 on pci0
>     bktr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
>     bktr0: Card has no configuration EEPROM. Cannot determine card make.
>     bktr0: Tuner address 194
>     bktr0: Pinnacle/Miro TV, Temic PAL I tuner.
>
>     pciconf says:
>
>       bktr0 at pci0:6:0: class=0x040000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x036e109e rev=0x11 hdr=0x00
>           vendor   = 'Brooktree Corporation'
>           device   = 'Bt878 MediaStream Controller'
>           class    = multimedia
>           subclass = video
>       none0 at pci0:6:1: class=0x048000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x0878109e rev=0x11 hdr=0x00
>           vendor   = 'Brooktree Corporation'
>           device   = 'Bt878/Fusion878A Video Capture (Audio Section)'
>           class    = multimedia
>
>     This card sort of works with the exception of the tuner.  See
>     http://www.lemis.com/grog/videorecorder/log.html#12 for the gory
>     details; basically, it appears that the tuner address is
>     non-standard.  http://www.lemoncube.com/354.html describes how
>     somebody got it to run under Linux:
>
>       However, after some trial and error I put this in my
>       modules.conf
>
>         options bttv card=0x25 tuner=38

card 0x25 == BTTV_PXELVWPLTVPRO

tuner 38 == TUNER_PLILIPS_FM1216ME_MK3

> 	options tuner force=0,0x61 ignore=0,0x60 debug=1

no idea what that means.

it looks like maybe you want to make bktr use tuner type

PHILIPS_FR1216_PAL
or
PHILIPS_FR1236_SECAM

bktr_card.c has a list of tuners and what bktr tuner type
probably works best.

--
<jakemsr at jakemsr.com>