uaudio patch,

Mathew Kanner mat at cnd.mcgill.ca
Thu Apr 28 04:28:23 PDT 2005

On Apr 28, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Mathew Kanner <mat at cnd.mcgill.ca> wrote:
>
> >	This patch is no consistent with then rest of sound.  You will
> >notice that with my pending uaudio caps patch that I add this
> >information in boot_verbose which is where it belongs.
>
> I still don't understand why this belongs into the dmesg instead of
> sndstat...
>
> In my eyes it would be nice if every soundcard would list the features it
> offers in sndstat. This not only consists of it's capabilities, it also
> should list SPDIF output, EAX and so on (either when we gain support for
> those features, or with an explicit "not supported" text). I think this
> would be more userfriendly than printing this in the dmesg on verbose boot
> only.

	I realise I'm the only one whose taken this position so I'll
withdraw it.  But for the record, this is my reasoning, what the heck
are you going to do with this informaiton: it doesn't help you.  Other
interesting but often usesless information is printed in boot_verbose.
The listed capablities are often way beyound what our sound interface
can offer.  If you want to know what avaiable then connect to the
sound device and issue an ioctl like every other app.
	Anyway, as a general concept, I think we should start
expanding our using sysctls.
	I've rerolled the uaudio caps patch to be compatible with this
commit and I've sent it off the Julian,  hopefully we can commit it
asap.
thi
	--Mat