kphone / linphone / asterisk

Jim Durham durham at
Tue Oct 26 05:57:40 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 09:33 am, Jim Durham wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 October 2004 01:51 am, Stuart Barkley wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 at 23:30 -0400, Jim Durham wrote:
> > > Has anyone got kphone to work on 5.x or 4.x ?
> >
> > I've recently tried both net/linphone and net/kphone on 4.10 with no
> > success and have also been wondering if anyone has them working
> > correctly.  I've tried most combinations of kphone, linphone and
> > sipomatic (test responder with linphone) on two machines running 4.10.
> (SNIP!!)
> > So far I haven't done any real debugging.  I was hoping one
> > combination would work starting off.  I'm open to suggestions as to
> > which would be best to concentrate on.  I'm inclined to try linphonec
> > (net/linphone-base) first.  The guis on kphone and linphone seem
> > pretty miserable and mouse intensive.  linphonec also is the one I'm
> > currently having the most luck with (some audio passes).
> >
> > Stuart Barkley
> Stuart,
> I'm really discouraged 8-( !!
> I should report that I also tried kphone on Debian Linux and it didn't work
> for me there either. I'm fairly certain that the setup is correct as it
> does work on 5.2.1 with the choppy audio, but other functions work as
> advertised.
> I contacted the port maintainer for FreeBSD and he said he had noticed the
> chopping problem but apparently it is usable on his machine and he didn't
> have the time to debug my problem.
> -
Here's an update on this....   it was the wrong error message from 4.10. I 
also recently upgraded my Audacity 1.0 to 1.2.1 on my 4.10 box and it 
wouldn't work either, saying   something like "Can't open audio sublayer" or 
some such.  I noticed that , even though it was set to dsp0, it was trying to 
open /dev/dsp. I made a link from dsp0 to dsp and audacity started to work.

I then wondered if this had anything to do with kphone's problems, so I opened 
it and voila! It opened right up.  My friend who has asterisk running has a 
test dialup which gives you the weather and time, and I dialed that and could 
understand it OK, but barely, however it was better than 5.2.1. So, I had him 
place a call to me and it connected OK, but 4.10 has a very strange situation 
in kphone receive, it seems to chop on slightly after a word has begun, then 
stay on for a phrase, then repeat the phrase and chop off. It's like someone 
stuttering, almost..   In transmit, the pitch (My friend heard this, not me) 
is seemingly about 1/2 of normal and sounds like Worf with a cold.

Oh , well..


More information about the freebsd-multimedia mailing list