kphone / linphone / asterisk

Stuart Barkley stuartb at 4gh.net
Tue Oct 19 22:51:49 PDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 at 23:30 -0400, Jim Durham wrote:

> Has anyone got kphone to work on 5.x or 4.x ?

I've recently tried both net/linphone and net/kphone on 4.10 with no
success and have also been wondering if anyone has them working
correctly.  I've tried most combinations of kphone, linphone and
sipomatic (test responder with linphone) on two machines running 4.10.

I want to use one of these or similar to connect to net/asterisk and a
voice modem attached to my POTS line.  This would allow me to access
my home phone line when I'm traveling.

Does anyone have asterisk running successfully with FreeBSD (4.10)?

Does anyone have asterisk running successfully with FreeBSD and a
Digium X100P or similar using misc/zaptel?  Indications are that Intel
based modems with MD3200 chipset also work for linux users.  Anyone
know of a reliable place to mail order a MD3200 based modem?

All of these ports have had somewhat recent activity but I don't know
if they are actually working or are still more works in progress.

I have not yet, but I may try these on linux just to get a baseline
understanding of them.  I hope to actually be able to all of this with
FreeBSD eventually.

> On 4.10, every time I try to open a session, it tells me to close
> the program that has the audio device open and try again, but
> according to lsof, nothing has any audio device open.

I don't see this problem.

Very Wild Guess: Are you trying to talk between two instances of
kphone on a single machine?  Only one instance can have the audio
device open.

I do see the following variety of problems:

kphone to kphone (between two machines):

  messages passed between processes but things never sync up.

linphone to linphone (between two machines):

  Appear to connect and answer correctly.

  Then bursty noise over connection with very occasional intelligible
  speech for sub 1-second periods.

  Frequent messages:
    (linphone:49934): MediaStreamer-WARNING **: The remote sip-phone
    has send data with a future timestamp: 85760,resynchronising
    session.

linphone to sipomatic (between two machines and locally on each
machine).

  Connect and answer correctly.
  Test message played and mostly intelligible.
  Occasional messages:
    (process:49921): MediaStreamer-WARNING **: The remote sip-phone
    has send data with a future timestamp: 84480,resynchronising
    session.

linphone calling to kphone (between two machines):

  messages passed but things never seem to sync up.

kphone calling to linphone (between two machines):

  linphone machine rings and can answer call
  kphone see the answer
  not sounds heard and various warning messages spouted by both ends

I initially needed to open ipfw ports for linphone:

  add allow udp from any to me 5060-5069 in keep-state
  add allow udp from any to me 7078 in keep-state

but at the moment I'm testing with fully open ipfw:

  add allow ip from any to any

So far I haven't done any real debugging.  I was hoping one
combination would work starting off.  I'm open to suggestions as to
which would be best to concentrate on.  I'm inclined to try linphonec
(net/linphone-base) first.  The guis on kphone and linphone seem
pretty miserable and mouse intensive.  linphonec also is the one I'm
currently having the most luck with (some audio passes).

Stuart Barkley
--
http://www.4gh.net/tudor/resume.html