Pinnacle PCTV tuner problem

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Thu Nov 25 00:47:47 PST 2004

Arne Wörner wrote:

>--- Nikolas Britton <freebsd at nbritton.org> wrote:

>>>Maybe the problem reports
>>>1. kern/73324 (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/73324)
>>>2. kern/73669 (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/73669)
>>>help (at least they can suppress the warning message...).
>>>
>>>It should not be necessary, to set the tuner via kernel options; I believe,
>>>that the driver detects the tuner automatically.
>>>
>>>I do not know, why nobody merges the updates to the bktr driver... Does
>>>somebody know how to push this proceeding?
>>>

>>I need some help on how to merge these updates (kern/73669), I've never
>>done this before.
>>

>Indeed the patches are a little bit outdated, so that it is necessary to apply
>them manually...
>
>1. You need your kernel sources (via /stand/sysinstall).
>2. I attached a bzip'ed tar archive, that contains the relevant 4 files.
>3. You should build the diffs between my files and your original files
>     diff A B
>   and look for suspicious instructions.
>   (of course there will be no evil lines, because I am the good guy)
>4. Then you can substitute your original files by my files.
>5. You should remove the bktr _options_, that determine the tuner...
>6. Then  you should build your own kernel (see the FreeBSD Handbook).
>
>I hope I was able to help...
>
>I am not sure, if the patch helps you...

Yes, the only thing I was unsure of was how to merge/patch the files
(I'm not a coder), I did all that and rebuilt the kernel and it's still
NOT WORKING. However, It does work better then before. Now I get 4-5
fuzzy channels and one that comes in clear, but it's in Black n' White,
and Its the home shopping network, ick. which patch was that btw?

Its detected now as this:
bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xec7fe000-0xec7fefff irq 17 at device 4.0 on
pci2
bktr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
bktr0: tuner @ 0xc0
bktr0: MT2032: Companycode=4d54 Part=04 Revision=04
bktr0: Detected a MSP3440G-B6 at 0x80
bktr0: Pinnacle PCTV Rave, MT2032 tuner, msp3400c stereo.
pci2: <multimedia> at device 4.1 (no driver attached)

and again I try'ed all the sysctls etc and its a no go, thanks for the
help though.