A rant about digital audio on FreeBSD

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Tue May 11 03:14:03 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 11 May 2004 09:28, Edd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am researching using FreeBSD as a DAW, but it seems I am somewhat
> limited to inferior application due to the fact that FreeBSD cannot
> implement JACK. Although a port does exist, it is marked as knackered.

According to the BROKEN entry, Jack does not compile on FreeBSD 5.x-Releases,
but works on FreeBSD 4.x and FreeBSD-CURRENT (and will probably work on a
future 5.3-Release).

> Just wondered if anyone is working on porting JACK to
> FreeBSD (currently) before I take this route.

Quite frankly, we actually do need people which want to use hypothetical ports
of audio software and thus have the skills and motivation to create and
maintain them. Repeated wishing and ranting on mailing lists doesn't improve
things much, as you've noted yourself.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org