USB Mouse vs. Sound problem

Mathew Kanner mat at cnd.mcgill.ca
Tue Jan 20 10:09:47 PST 2004

On Jan 18, Mauricio Herrera Cuadra wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently installed FreeBSD 4.9 on a laptop and I've got into this
> problem:
>
> When I attach the USB Mouse on boot I get a fully working mouse, if I
> start X (KDE) I didn't hear any sound unless I move the mouse around
> during KDE's startup, if I stop moving it the sound also stops, the same
> thing happens on XMMS while I play a CD. Then, if I unplug the mouse I get
> full sound experience on my desktop, but I cannot replug the mouse and get
> it to be re-initialized.
>
> If I boot without the USB mouse, I don't get any sound from KDE or XMMS,
> even if I move the touchpad.
>
> Here is some output from my laptop:
>
> # dmesg | grep pcm
> pcm0: <Intel ICH3 (82801CA)> port 0x1840-0x187f,0x1c00-0x1cff irq 9 at
> device 31.5 on pci0
> pcm0: <Yamaha YMF753 AC97 Codec>
>
> # cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <Intel ICH3 (82801CA)> at io 0x1c00, 0x1840 irq 9 bufsz 16384
> (1p/1r/4v channels duplex)
>
> I'have configured artsd to use /dev/dsp0.1 so XMMS can use the default
> /dev/dsp0.0 and the problem is still the same.
>
> Also the output for the USB mouse:
>
> #dmesg | grep usb
> usb0: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
> usb0: <NEC uPD 9210 USB controller> on ohci0
> usb0: USB revision 1.0
> usb1: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
> usb1: <NEC uPD 9210 USB controller> on ohci1
> usb1: USB revision 1.0
>
> # dmesg | grep ums
> ums0: Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse, rev 2.00/11.10, addr 2, iclass 3/1
> ums0: 3 buttons and Z dir.
>
> I'll appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

	Hello Mauricio,
	I'm sorry this is going to be a weak answer...

	This seems like a interupt issue.  I've seen similiar problems
before but I'm not sure what can be done with 4.9.  I suggest you try
the following:
	1/  Flip the value of PNP-OS in your bios
	2/  Try FreeBSD 5.2, acpi will likely help the issue.

	good luck,
	--Mat
--
	It's impossible to awaken a man who is pretending to be
	asleep.