FM radio card OK with 4.10, broken with 5.3

rotenber at alumni.caltech.edu rotenber at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Dec 19 09:21:31 PST 2004

Anish Mistry

Thank you for your message.

> Have you tried with the following in your kernel on 5.3?
> options BKTR_NEW_MSP34XX_DRIVER

I made a new kernel with these options:

device          bktr
options         BKTR_NEW_MSP34XX_DRIVER
options         BKTR_USE_FREEBSD_SMBUS
options         OVERRIDE_TUNER=4
options         BROOKTREE_SYSTEM_DEFAULT=BROOKTREE_NTSC
device          smbus           # Bus support, required for smb below.
# iicbb generic I2C bit-banging code (needed by lpbb, bktr)
#
device          ic
device          iic
device          iicbus          # Bus support, required for ic/iic/iicsmb
below.
device          iicbb
device          iicsmb

and I saw a difference in dmesg (please note
that the lines ic0,iic0, and iicsmb0 are new):

bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xde003000-0xde003fff irq 10 at device 20.0 on
pci0
bktr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
smbus0: <System Management Bus> on bktr0
iicbb0: <I2C bit-banging driver> on bktr0
iicbus0: <Philips I2C bus> on iicbb0 master-only
ic0 on iicbus0
iic0: <I2C generic I/O> on iicbus0
iicsmb0: <SMBus over I2C bridge> on iicbus0
smbus1: <System Management Bus> on iicsmb0
bktr0: Card has no configuration EEPROM. Cannot determine card make.
bktr0: Pinnacle/Miro TV.
pci0: <multimedia> at device 20.1 (no driver attached)

but there is no difference in the behavior of 'tuneradio':

 tuneradio -f 10110
bktr0: arg=10110 temp=10110
bktr0: tv_freq returned: -1

One item I forgot to report: 4.10 has both /dev/iic0 and /dev/iic1
while 5.3 has only /dev/iic0. I do not know if this matters.

I also asked on the freebsd-questions mailing list whether
ANYONE has FM radio working on ANY card under 5.3, and I
did not receive a single reply.

J.M. Rotenberry