Matrox G450/G550 TV OUT (not available)

danieleff danieleff at uol.com.br
Tue Jul 8 08:57:19 PDT 2003

Hi,

	I am quite happy at my matrox G450. The dualhead works like a
charm both in multidisplay and clone modes. However, I can't seem to get
TV out to work AT ALL.

	System:	FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE (as of last friday)
	X:		XFree86 4.3.0 from ports (as of last saturday)
	Video:	Matrox G450 dualhead

	After a lot of research on the matrox forums and on google, I found
out that neither the current XFree86 4.3.0 drivers and the Matrox mga
2.0 beta drivers support TV out for both the G450 and G550 series.

* Matrox Linux Forum
http://forum.matrox.com/cgi-bin/mgaforum/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=2

* Matrox Forum Message from Matrox moderator stating that TV out is
not supported for G450
http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/Forum2/HTML/002255.html

	If you have a G400, TV out works but you are out of luck with
either G450 or G550.

	Further research showed that there are non-official solutions to
this problem. These solutions are Linux based nonetheless.

* TV-out on the G450
- lists the current available solutions for Linux
http://www.bglug.ca/matrox_tvout/

* TV-out working on the G450 using Petr Vandrovec's matroxfb driver
http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/linux/matrox-latest/

* DirectFB has TV-out code that works for the G400/G450/G550
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/directfb.txt

	Currently, Matrox shows no interest on supporting G450/G550 TV
output. That's their official statement. Therefore, we either replace our
cards or provide non-official solutions. I would prefer to try some
solutions before buying another video card.

	I would be very much interested to know if anyone has been
working on providing adhoc solutions for FreeBSD similar to the Linux
ones? I would be more than willing to beta test those.

	Regards,

ps: Please, CC: me on your replies since I am not subscribed to this
mailing list.

---
AntiPop-up UOL - É grátis!
http://antipopup.uol.com.br