FreeBSD-based PVR?

Lars Eggert larse at ISI.EDU
Fri Aug 8 12:36:12 PDT 2003

Steve,

I've pulled the latest CVS sources for MythTV and Freevo in the hopes of
generating ports.

Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:22:44 -0700
> Lars Eggert <larse at ISI.EDU> wrote:
> LE> Linux has MythTV (http://www.mythtv.org/) and
>
> 	I started work on a port of that, but there's no xmltv feed
> for my cable service and the dependency list is ludicrous for a PVR,
> it's all bleeding edge dependencies too :(

MythTV seems to come with its own hacked ffmpeg pieces, and seemed
harder to port (for the five minutes I looked at it.)

I've thus decided to look at Freevo first.

> LE> Freevo
> LE> (http://freevo.sourceforge.net/), from what I understand they require
> LE> the video-for-Linux (V4L) API, which FreeBSD doesn't support. Right?
>
> 	I'd managed to forget about that for a while - in theory it
> should be easy since it uses mplayer and NuppelVideo rather than talking
> directly to the v4l layer and both of those have been ported.

That was my impression as well.

> 	There was the start of a port some time ago (I've just looked
> and it hasn't moved) I'll pull the latest version and see if I can get
> the port updated and finished.

If you have a pointer to it, maybe we can pool efforts? I had started to
do a port locally, but if there is an existing attempt, it makes sense
to work off that instead.

Thanks,
Lars
--