FreeBSD-based PVR?

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Fri Aug 8 11:44:40 PDT 2003

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:22:44 -0700
Lars Eggert <larse at ISI.EDU> wrote:

LE> Hi,
LE>
LE> are there any Tivo-like personal-video-recorders for FreeBSD?
LE>
LE> Linux has MythTV (http://www.mythtv.org/) and

	I started work on a port of that, but there's no xmltv feed
for my cable service and the dependency list is ludicrous for a PVR,
it's all bleeding edge dependencies too :(

LE> Freevo
LE> (http://freevo.sourceforge.net/), from what I understand they require
LE> the video-for-Linux (V4L) API, which FreeBSD doesn't support. Right?

	I'd managed to forget about that for a while - in theory it
should be easy since it uses mplayer and NuppelVideo rather than talking
directly to the v4l layer and both of those have been ported.

	There was the start of a port some time ago (I've just looked
and it hasn't moved) I'll pull the latest version and see if I can get
the port updated and finished.

	It looks like it needs the development version of python though :(
Does anyone here know if it will coexist with the normal one ?

LE> Are there any other options for FreeBSD? I'd rather not start mucking
LE> with Linux if I don't have to.

Watching TV:
	fxtv	Nice for channel flipping
	xawtv	Some prefer it to fxtv
	mplayer	Good full screen with Xv - nice for watching (-vo aa is fun)

Recording and encoding:
	ffmpeg		Makes decent mpeg stream or avi
	mencoder	Makes decent avi
	NuppelVideo	Very low CPU overhead - big files

Text:
	alevt		Is there anything else :)

Control:
	sh
	perl		Hashes of station frequencies - very handy :)
	at		Hey a VCR I *can* program - without thinking :)
	cron		Two ways :)))

--
C:>WIN                                      |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                |A Better Way To Focus The Sun