Create Extigy

Derek Young DerekYoung at easy.com
Fri Apr 18 12:57:52 PDT 2003

Creative Labs Extigy, flat out rocks. It is definitely the
future of pc audio, and I hope that FreeBSD can support it.
I am willing to volunteer to write the driver, however I just
wanted some feedback on a few issues.

I ran a USB sniffer on the device, and when you turn it
about 5200 packets get transmitted. Haha. There is
definitely a firmware that gets uploaded to it.

Would that prevent it from being part of the FreeBSD dist
without Creative Labs approval?

We can make it as a port very easily, but do I have the
right to do that? All I am doing is watching traffic to the
device and sending it what it needs to work.

I hope that someone who knows what they are talking
about will enlighten me. Because I don't know jack about
legal stuff. And I don't want to waste a lot of time on this,
(cause it will take a lot of time) when I won't be able to
give anyone my work.

Also, the Extigy has a remote control on it. It has tons of
features, like volume control. The cool part is that it has
ways to control DVD playback, audio playback, etc. We
will need a driver for that also.

Maybe someone should ask
KDE/Gnome/XMMS/Mplayer/etc what type of interface
they would want to the OS. I was thinking like a
/dev/mcontrol as a "Multimedia Control" device. KDE
could open that up and listen for volume control and stuff
like that. It would be cool if this wasn't another one of
those... FreeBSD does it that way and Linux does it this
way type deals. There is already a /dev/pss that is
suppose to be a "Programmable Device Interface", what is
that for? I don't know, there would be more to a Multimedia
Control than one might think. For example, with the extigy
you can define if you are using headphones, 2 speakers, 5
speakers, etc. It will attempt to produce the best sound for
your setup as possible. You can also say what you want it
to sound like, an auditorium, a stadium, a small room, a
live show, etc.

I don't know if those are hardware based things or software
based things. I will find out with some effort.

Also, when it comes to things like Dolby 5.1 sound and
such... that is way in the future for BSD, but has anyone
considered what will take place to make that work? Or
does it automatically work when you send dolby encoded
data to /dev/dsp on devices that support it?

I don't know much about this stuff, but I can reverse
engineer stuff pretty well. I have always wanted a
computer to control my home sound system, I just have
never seen a sound card that I was happy with..
(Something about the limited space on a PCI card, limited
power, and tons of interference from the all the parts inside
your computer)

Thanks

Derek Young

This message was sent from the free private e-mail service by easy.com, the portal site owned by Stelios and the easyGroup. This email service is available to all members of the public to use for personal reasons only.  Not all subscribers to this e-mail service are representatives of an easyGroup company.