alsaplayer port

Orion Hodson orion at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 17 10:54:40 PDT 2003

/-- Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
| I'm trying to port alsaplayer (http://www.alsaplayer.org), and
| presently have it working on sound files, but not on CD audio.
|
| The port is at http://rsidd.online.fr/alsaplayer.tar.bz2
|
| The cdda input plugin requires <linux/cdrom.h> which, of course, we
| don't have.  I don't know anything about how to deal with this: any
| pointers/help?
|
| The program has some nice features, in particular pitch control -- you
| can even play audio backwards.  Also, it plays CDs (on linux) by
| ripping them and then playing through the regular dsp device, which is
| unconventional but I have selfish reasons for liking that: my internal
| soundcard is broken and I can only play CDs by outputting to an
| external (USB) sound device, which normal CD player programs can't do.

I can suggest some starting points:

o The FreeBSD cd ioctls are contained in sys/cdio.h and sys/cdrio.h.

o the source code for cdcontrol in ${SRC}/usr.sbin/cdcontrol shows how to
  control the CD device.

o The FreeBSD ports version of grip (I don't know about the original) has the
  relevant DAE magic that'll facilitate ripping and playing immediately out of
  the pcm device.

Cheers
- Orion