Firmware error with iwn on 9-stable.

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Wed Jan 2 07:40:36 UTC 2013

Am 02.01.2013 06:41, schrieb Frank Mayhar:
> On Tue, 2013-01-01 at 21:36 -0800, Frank Mayhar wrote:
>> On Mon, 2012-12-31 at 23:49 -0800, Frank Mayhar wrote:
>> > I'm trying to set up a new laptop, which has an Intel Centrino
>> > Ultimate-N 6300 wireless card.  I was under the impression that
>> the
>> > 9-stable iwn driver fully supported this card but I've run into a
>> > problem.  Specifically, I'm seeing this firmware crash:
>> >
>> >         iwn0: iwn_intr: fatal firmware error
>>
>> For the record, this appears to be the problem referred to by
>> "kern/163154: [iwn] fatal firmware error on 9.0-RC3."  Apparently
>> this
>> still happens in 9-stable, with the same symptoms, fails with
>> 802.11a
>> but not with 11g.
>
> Oops, spoke too soon.  It fails the same way with 11g in my case.

I had the same issue, but it's gone now.
What I did:

1. ran PC-BSD 9.0 without problems
2. upgraded to 9.1-BETA1 or 2, had the firmware errors after
transmitting some MB.
3. Installed Linux Mint out of curiosity, the wireless just worked
4. re-installed PC-BSD 9.1-RC1 or something and the firware errors were
history (so far :) )

So, maybe it might be worth a try to boot some Linux Live CD.