loud fan, hp pavilion ze 2000

ito egunther at warwick.net
Tue Dec 31 13:31:04 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have been asking around about this laptop multiple places but have not
solved the problem.  The problem is the loud cycling of the fan (14 sec
on, 20 sec between cycles).

uname -a FreeBSD arhtur 9.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE #0 r255898: Fri
Sept 27 03:52:52 UTC 2013    root at bake.isc.-not -an
-address :/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

INFO---------

>From HP and Intel listed, transcribed:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-acpi/2013-December/008452.html

Sticker on machine says celeron M

----------

I am running powerd:

/etc/rc.conf:
----------------snip---------

performance_cx_lowest="HIGH"
performance_cpu_freq="NONE"
economy_cx_lowest="HIGH"
economy_cpu_freq="NONE"

powerd_enable="YES"

powerd_flags-"-a hadp -b hadp"

----------------------snip---

There seems to be little difference in what I set the 'adaptive'
behavior to be although the last time I changed it I tried 'high
adaptive'.  I gathered, through reading and the previously list I asked
on, that I should set the performance and economy values.  That also
makes no difference it seems although I think it is probably good to do.

The temperature reads as hovering between 59-64 C under little load,
just running; blackbox, and xterm and xacpim (simple temp monitor).

The frequency sits at 1298, which is the highest level available.  I
have had it run at a slower frequency but that does not seem to change
the behavior.  While just running the xterm and blackbox (typing on
another machine),

-dev.cpu.0.cx_supported: C1/1/0 C2/2/1
-dev.cpu.0.cx_usage: 100.00% 0.00% last 1684us
-
-
- dev.cpu.0.freq: 1298
-
- dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 1298/-1 1298/ -1 1135/-1 973/-1 811/-1 - 649/-1
486/-1 324/-1
-
- dev.p4tcc.0.freq_settings: 10000/-1 8750/-1 7500/-1 6350/-1
- 5000/-1 3750/-1 2500/-1
-
---------

As far as processes;

if I turn off idle process's in top "i"

I get Xorg and top,

if I turn the idle process's back on I get nothing for cpu usage.

ps -A

yields the highest value while fan is on is

49:43.83 idle and 2:14.08 /usr/local/bin/X :0
-auth /root/.serverauth.799 (Xorg)

Maintenance:

I have cleaned this laptop a few times, but it was recommended that I
clean it... I don't think that is the problem, although I think it could
not hurt.

HISTORY:

Recently did an upgrade from 9.0 to 9.2

Recently bought a new main battery

Recently fixed and installed CMOS (RTC) battery, so time was screwed up
for a while... years.

Generic Install with some packages.

BIOS would constantly revert (before changing/fixing battery) to 2004 so
I think that is the build date of the ?BIOS?.

As far as I remember I have not done a BIOS upgrade, could not figure
out how to do it safely and efficiently.

Thanks for any help,

eg