Targus Wireless Presenter in mouse mode does not vertical scroll.

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 29 16:23:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 17:07 +0200, Julian Stacey wrote:
> Help ! Ideas how to solve moused failing to handle this USB `mouse' please ?
>
> I bought 2 x Targus Wireless Presenters today
> Manufacturer English: http://www.targus.com/AU/product_details.asp?sku=AMP02US
> Retailer German:      http://plus.de/ & Click on picture.  (30 Euros each,
> 	1 week offer, in Plus, a German food chain; optional 4 Euro mail order)
>
> They are dual mode (presenter & mouse (*))
> FreeBSD-6.1-RELEASE works .. Mostly, not completely:
>    Problem in Mouse Mode:
> 	Vertical scrolling fails, only horizontal works.
>    	Both inside X11 & outside.  Mouse mode works under XP.
>    BTW Presenter mode works OK:
>       In X Windows to control XPDF next page / last page,
>          If mouse is already inside XPDF it advances or goes back a page
>          If mouse it outside xpdf on background, it speaks to fvwm (which
> 	 flips round between 6 of the panels on my 4 x 6 fvwm panels).
>
> I see devd is creating both: ukbd0 & ums0 (whereas for a normal
> mouse only ums) I presume ukbd handles "Page up" etc, so can be ignored.
>
> man moused
> 	-t For the USB mouse, the protocol must be auto.
> moused -p /dev/ums0 -I /var/run/moused.ums0.pid -i all -f
> 	/dev/ums0 usb sysmouse generic
> Any moused tricks known, or experts ?
> or must I read & printf 100K of /usr/src/usr.sbin/moused/moused.c ?
>
> Julian

Hi Julian

Do any mouse events get fired for the scrolling? You can use the program
``xev'' to capture all mouse events.

I'm not familiar with devices with quad-directional scrolling, but it
may be as simple as telling X that you have a multibutton mouse (and
maybe tweaking the ZAxisMapping in xorg.conf or judicious use of
xmodmap).

Cheers

Tom