ath solved my ipw problems

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Wed Mar 8 14:17:00 UTC 2006

On 7 Mar 2006 at 12:43, George Hartzell wrote:

> Dan Langille writes:
>  > Hey folks,
>  >
>  > Just for those people having ipw problems like I was for so long..
>  >
>  > My ath NIC arrived yesterday.  I bought the genuine IBM part #
>  > 73P4301 (11A/B/G WL LAN MINI PCI ADAPTOR II)
>  >
>  > The price was CAD$113.80 including all taxes and shipping.
>  >
>  > http://tinyurl.com/d9whw
>  >
>  > Of help was http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T41 which had a
>  > link to the Hardware Maintenance Manual.
>  >
>  >
>  > Installation was not bad, following
>
> I've had trouble with the ath device in my IBM T42p resuming properly
> after a suspend.  Oddly enough, it only seems to happen with I'm
> running X, if I swith to another vty before I suspend, and switch back
> after I resume, then it works.

I just tried 'acpiconf -s 3' twice.  First from vty8, and then
konsole within KDE.  Neither was for very long (seconds, not minutes)
but ath0 functioned after resume.

FWIW: '-s 4' powers off the system immediately without a shutdown.  '-
s 5' does a shutdown.

When I suspend from within X, the screen does not turn off totally.
It dims significantly until it is almost black, but I can still see
the windows that were/are open.

The mouse cursor went away, but came sback after a HUP.

http://www.freebsddiary.org/ibm-thinkpad-t41.php has a section on
suspend/resume.  But I have not tried those settings yet.

> For now I just run an /etc/rc.d/netif restart ath0 when I resume.
>
> I've shown this to Sam Leffler and he also sees resume problems on a
> similar system.  It's in his queue of things to fix.
>
> Does suspend/resume work for you?  I'm running w/ dhclient and
> wpa_supplicant using simple WEP keys.

I'm running dhclient too. No WEP here,  but I'm using IPsec.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php