Notebook recommendations

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Jul 27 15:30:25 UTC 2006

Christopher Hilton <chris at vindaloo.com> wrote:
 > Gateway it's time get something new. I'm looking for recommendations.

I've bought a Samsung X20-XVM 1600-V.  It's not expensive
and works very well with FreeBSD (at least for me).

 >       XGA graphics at a minimum of 1280 pixels horizontal and 960
 > pixels vertical. 1400x1050 is perfect

It even has a little more:  1440x1080.

 >       Pentium M processor for battery life 1.6 GHz ~ 2.0 GHz

Pentium-M (Centrino) 1.6 GHz.  I think they also have
variants with other processors.

 >      Ability to do 3D Video acceleration would be a plus but isn't
 > strictly necessary. XDAMAGE would be a double      plus.

It has i915 intel graphics, and 3D video acceleration works
perfectly fine with 6-stable.

 >       A real serial port is a plus as I occasionally have to boot the
 > odd sun workstation.

It doesn't have a serial port, like most notebooks today.
However, you can buy the optional docking station, which
does have a serial port.  Or use a USB-serial adapter (if
you can find one which is supported by FreeBSD).

Here's output from dmesg, Xorg.log and other information:
http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/dmesg/centaur/

Best regards
   Oliver