6.0 Install hangs

Shane J Pearson shanejp at netspace.net.au
Fri Nov 11 20:21:43 PST 2005

Hi John,

On 12/11/2005, at 10:40 AM, John Crummy wrote:

> I am trying to install FreeBSD 6.0 on my Toshiba Satellite M50-MX2
> laptop, but with no luck so far.
>
> The install cd boots up and displays the boot menu. If I choose
> default
> boot option (1), the systems hangs after this:
>
> /boot/kernel/acpi.ko text=0x40c2c data=0x2160+0x1090 syms=[0x4+0x7810
> +0x4+0xa292]
> \
>
> And freezes with the spinning line at that position. Choosing ACPI
> disabled, safe mode, or verbose logging does nothing to improve the
> situation. Other have found that disabling pnp in the bios has helped,
> but this laptop does not have that option in the bios.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas to get FreeBSD working on this laptop or
> am I
> SOL on this?

My Sony VAIO VGN-A49GP unfortunately also locks up or otherwise fails at
various points of a 6.0 Rel install, regardless of which install option
I choose. I have very few options in my BIOS and I am fearful with
Sony's history of firmware support (lack of), that I may be out of luck
for a BIOS upgrade to fix this.

Does 5.4 install okay on your Toshiba?

Good luck. I think I may have to wait in hope for 6.1.

Shane J Pearson        shanejp netspace net au                       ->|