5.2.1 can't load xl0 driver

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Sep 13 07:33:32 PDT 2004

> Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:42:43 +1000
> From: adslvmlg at tpg.com.au
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> Dear list,
> My problem with 5.2.1-Release:
> I use 4.10 for my server, and workstation, and recently I am planning to give
> 5.2.1 a try, in order to getting familiar with the next release 5.3.
>
> After I installed 5.2.1 on my IBM Thinkpad A21P, the system didn't
> recoganize my 3Com network card during installation. After I reboot
> the system, the xl0 3Com NIC showed up, and I ifconfig it, and my
> network is blocked, I can't ping any computer within my network. And
> then I reboot the system again, the xl0 disappeared again. And the
> system keep doing this to me.
>
> Just wondering is this a bug of 5.2.1 or it's the problem with my laptop? And
> experienced this problem?

A bug is a possibility, but I have not seen any other reports like
this. It sounds like it might be a resource issue.

Is this card a mini-PCI or a PCMCIA card? Are you using the GENERIC
configuration (which is the kernel on the distribution)? Can you send
the contents of dmesg? (This will probably require a COM port connection
between the ThinkPad and another system.)

With the information provided, it's really hard to even guess what
might be happening.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)