T22 IO-Card FRU replacement

Shahab Sanjari sanjari at hrz.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon May 31 03:12:29 PDT 2004

Hi everyone,

I run FreeBSD on an IBM T22 as my main system. I bought the laptop with
the knowledge of it's MODEM/LAN being physically damaged, so I got a
Xircom Credit Card Ethernet Modem CEM 56-100 for free. The system is
running and I have no problems.

Lately I thought I may bring the onboard LAN/MODEM to life so that I don't
need to carry the PCMCIA card and the dongle with me everywhere.
The guy I purchaced it from, told me he has plugged the modem cable in to
the AC wall outlet instead of telephone line! Don't ask me how this had
happend, but both modem and lan are damaged this way.

I checked with the IBM Maintenance Manual (page 147 No.5). The IO card
could be replaced. (FRU No. 26P8023 or 08K3373).
Now can anyone guess if after a damage like this, FRU replacement would be
a good idea? or the damage could have gone further from the IO/CARD to the
main board?(over the flat cable).
Does anyone know a place where I could get such an odd FRU?

thanks in advance,
Shahab.

--------
Shahab Sanjari  (sanjariathrzdottu-darmstadtdotde)