Very strange behavior of the special keys on a IBM T40

Arne Schwabe arne at rfc2549.org
Sat May 22 11:47:45 PDT 2004

Arne Schwabe <schwabe at uni-paderborn.de> writes:

> Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com> writes:
>
>>> I have very strange and annoying problem with my T40. Whenever I press
>>> some "special keys" like volume up/down brightness up/down, Thinklight
>>> on/off FreeBSD just freezes.
>>> This is with a current kernel.
>>>
>>> Anyone any suggestion what I could do to narrow this down?
>>
>> Would you by any chance be running with an extra ultra bay battery in place on
>> the CD/DVD? If so, try removing it (and rebooting). If you're having the same
>> problem I have on my T40p, that should eliminate the hangs. As a result I'm
>> almost never using the extra battery :(
>
> I have a extra ultra bay battery but I makes no difference. :/
>
> Could you send me your kernel config, maybe I have something weird in
> my config?

Okay, I tried your kernel config but the same result brightness
up/down freezes the kernel.

Without acpi the kernel freezes after something like 1-2 minutes :(

Arne
--
Ah, the beauty of OSS. Hundreds of volunteers worldwide volunteering
their time inventing and implementing new exciting ways of old fashioned  wheels.