ACER Extensa model 390 - Any special boot problems ?

Chris Miller chrislist at bariatricsupportcenter.com
Thu May 13 20:27:41 PDT 2004

I'm not familiar with this laptop, but any reason why you can't just
pull the hard drive out of it and put it in another computer as the
slave.  Then just pull the data off like any other hard drive in the
system.
  You can get 2.5" to 5.25" connector converters for about $5 which will
allow you to put the hard drive in any desktop machine.  Or put it in a
newer laptop and run a live cd.  If it's a linux partition that you are
trying to get the data off of and it is using a filesystem that FreeBSD
doesn't understand then just use a linux live cd to make the backup.
Once you have it backed up then it doesn't matter if you screw up with
fdisk or anything else when you go to install FreeBSD on it.

Just a thought.

-Chris

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 13:23, Julian Stacey wrote:
> Acer Extensa model 390 laptop:
snip
> If no known loader.conf problems ? Then `Just' Lilo & Fdisk risk:
> normally I'd back up first, but we cant: (old Linux on there has a
> crippled kernel supporting only since dead pccia ethernet. No cdrom,
> prob no USB etc ... old box).
snip