ACER Extensa model 390 - Any special boot problems ?

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Thu May 13 12:23:42 PDT 2004

Acer Extensa model 390 laptop:
Any special problems (`issues') or magic involved putting BSD on
one of these ?  (IE another laptop I know from a different manufacture
needs this to even boot:
	/boot/loader.conf
		hw.pcic.intr_path="1"
		hw.pcic.irq="0"
	... stuff like that is a right pain if you don't know ...
The laptop isn't mine, & I haven't had access yet, hence asking
if anyone knows of boot issues ?

It belongs to herbert at wengatz.de (cc'd), & has 2G of linux partition
we can install BSD on, then a few gig of linux partition data to
recover (hopefully mount_ext2fs, & not reiser-fs, I've no idea how
to deal with reiser).

If no known loader.conf problems ? Then `Just' Lilo & Fdisk risk:
normally I'd back up first, but we cant: (old Linux on there has a
crippled kernel supporting only since dead pccia ethernet. No cdrom,
prob no USB etc ... old box).

I've considered options of installing a BSD, or booting off 2/3
flops (freebsd-4 or 5), possibly diskless BSD `Fixit' boot, then
mount & ftp over one of my known- good-, supported- by- BSD pcmcia
ethernet cards, & if not, PL-IP, SL-IP, or kermit under BSD or
linux, to move the data.

PS I've had a look at
	http://gerda.univie.ac.at/freebsd-laptops
	http://www.zapatec.com/freebsd/laptop