best known methods for dual boot with XP with functional hibernate?

Josh Malone jmalone at tovaris.com
Tue Oct 21 13:17:48 PDT 2003

Windows XP, I believe, won't bother with the s2d partition because it has
"built-in" software suspend/hibernate mode.  This machine does have BIOS
hibernate, though, so the proper APM call in FreeBSD will trigger BIOS to
use the s2d partition.  If memory serves, something like Fn-Z triggers this
under FreeBSD (but no guarantees on my memory - actually, no guarantees on
ANYTHING  :)

So, make the s2d partition, then install FreeBSD and XP and don't worry
about XP would be my advice. (so long as XP doesn't overwrite the s2d
part; I seem to recall NT5 doing that to my dell...I just had to re-make
the s2d using the free space after my BSD partition that I left....funky
but it worked).

Anybody wanna correct me about XP's behaviour in the presence of BIOS
hibernate?

				-Josh