best known methods for dual boot with XP with functional hibernate?

Timothy Luoma luomat at peak.org
Tue Oct 21 13:09:59 PDT 2003

I am getting ready to try and do this with my Dell 7500 so I'm
particularly interested in how to do this correctly.

I have a 29gb hard drive, 512mb ram and (IIRC) a 16mb video card.  So if I
understand correctly I have to make a "Save to Disk" partition of 528mb.

What I plan to do is this:

1) Make a 10gb FAT32 partition (so it can be mounted R/W from FreeBSD) for
WinXP
2) Make a Save to Disk (S2D) partition
3) Install FreeBSD in the remaining space

I have "D5788807.exe" and "Z5788807.exe" which I downloaded from Dell's
website.  I believe one of these will make the S2D partition.  I have
turned on 'Save to disk' (instead of save to ram) in the BIOS.

How does WinXP know to use the partition and not create a hibernation file?
For that matter, how does FreeBSD know to use it?  What do I need to
install once I get FBSD running to enable it?  (I'm a relative newbie to
FBSD, but I did get 4.8 installed on the machine without much trouble).

Thanks

TjL