Fixed WEP/DHCP oddity (Lucent vs. Netgear)

Ulrich Plate plate at gol.com
Mon Aug 25 16:57:37 PDT 2003

First in April, then last month I posted a question why my perfectly
good Netgear MA401 wouldn't work in the same setup as a Lucent Orinoco
Silver WLAN card when plugged into my Vaio running 5.1-CURRENT. Each
card would get recognized upon boot, dmesg looked just fine for both of
them, but in the case of the Netgear, DHCP choked on the crypto part,
while the Lucent card had no such problems.

Miraculously, this has fixed itself. I haven't done anything except
occasional kernel rebuilds after cvsup'ing about once in a fortnight. No
firmware upgrade, no change to the start_wi0 script or the kernel
configuration, nothing at all, really. But all of a sudden (can't say if
it was yesterday's build or the one before, unfortunately), the MA401
works without any complaints, and I can finally retire the Lucent card.

If anyone has an explanation when and how this happened, I'd be most
grateful. If you don't, I'll just continue being happy about it. :)

Thanks for the numerous earlier attempts to help me
Ulrich Plate