XFree86 core dumps on Inspiron 5100

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 4 19:15:09 PDT 2003

On Sunday,  3 August 2003 at  2:04:08 -0700, Peter Losher wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Charles Owens wrote:
>
>> I've closely followed the DRI intsructions from
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri
>> Am I right that this is the only way to get a driver for the Radeon
>> card?  (as opposed to something not DRI/DRM-related)
>
> That's the only way I got it to work... Sucks because I can't use
> 'XFree86 -configure', but I can cobble something together for a XFConfig.

This is the only message I've seen in this thread.  I'm a little
confused, because you've seen the other thread about the Inspiron
5100, and I've already explained the problem to you there.

The problem we have here is that the system is not mapping the BIOS
correctly.  I have built a server (for 4.3.0) which works around the
problem by including the complete code of the BIOS.  If you want a
copy, tell me and I'll put it somewhere.  See also
http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-jul2003.html#25 for more details.

Greg