5.1-RELEASE on Portege 3025CT

William Tan wil at dready.org
Sun Aug 3 07:27:40 PDT 2003

This is for Toshiba Portege 3025CT owners. Here is my personal
experience installing FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE on it.

1. The installation went rather smoothly, but on the first boot after
installation I encountered a 'Root mount failed: 6' message:

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6

Then after searching around, I got the hint that the ACPI support may be
the cause, so on the boot menu I selected "Boot FreeBSD with ACPI
disabled", then it worked.

2. The PCMCIA (pccard) controller could not be detected. No mention of
it in 'dmesg' at all. After some probing, I booted to the Windows 98
partition and used the Toshiba HW Config utility, under the PCMCIA slot,
the selection was "PCIC compatible" and I switched it to "Cardbus/16
bit", rebooted and the pccard controller was recognised.

I hope these would be of use to someone, but I don't intend to stay on
the list for long.

wil.