Infrared on a HP Omnibook 6100

Tiarnan O'Corrain ocorrain at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 07:35:00 PDT 2003

Hello,

I'm trying to get infrared working on the model mentioned
above, specifically to communicate with my Nokia 6210.

I've activated the IR port in the BIOS, and set it to SIR mode.
It seems to be recognized at boot time:

# dmesg | grep sio
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A

but I have no idea which device it is, or indeed how to determine
device naming from the boot messages.

I've tried gnokii with /dev/cuaa0 and /dev/cuaa1, but it each time
it gives an error: "Couldn't open PHONET device: Bad file descriptor",
while the phone doesn't beep, or give any sign that it is communicating
with the laptop at all (IR reception has been activated on the phone).

Can anyone tell me 1) how to tell which /dev entry corresponds to
sio1 (I assume sio0 is my built-in serial port), and/or 2) relate
any experiences with IR/gnokii that could be useful?

All help appreciated,

Tiarnan