Bluetooth on FreeBSD

Maksim Yevmenkin m_evmenkin at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 13 15:30:44 PDT 2003

Hello Indika,

> I'm quite new to FreeBSD and I'm trying to install the Bluetooth
> protocol stack developed by Maksim Yevmenkin. I'm not sure what it's
> called, other than ngbt-fbsd?
>
> I've been following the instructions from Pav's BSD corner at
> http://www.oook.cz/bsd/bluetooth.html.
>
> After building the modules, editing the /boot/loader.conf file and
> reboot the system, I plug in the USB Bluetooth device, the system
> detects a USB device being plugged in.
>
> However, I do not get the following expected output on the console:
> ubt0: vendor 0x0a12 product 0x0001, rev 1.10/5.25, addr 2
> ubt0: Interface 0 endpoints: interrupt=0x81, bulk-in=0x82, bulk-out=0x2
> ubt0: Interface 1 (alt.config 5) endpoints: isoc-in=0x83, isoc-out=0x3;
>       wMaxPacketSize=49; nframes=6, buffer size=294

what version of the Bluetooth code are you using? the problem is the
ng_ubt(4) driver does not know about your USB device. you will need
to find out vendorID/productID for your device and add them into the
list of the supported devices inside USB_MATCH function. you may use
ugen(4) driver for this, i.e.

1) kldload ugen
2) attach the device
3) check /var/log/messages for ugen0: xxx messages and write down
   vendorID/productID.
4) detach the device
5) vi src/sys/netgraph/bluetooth/drivers/ubt/ng_ubt.c
6) find USB_MATCH function
7) add { vendor_id, product_id }, line
8) recompile and reinstall ng_ubt(4) driver
9) kldload ng_ubt
10) attach the device

> This output may be redirected to a syslog file. What is the name and
> location of the log file?

/var/log/messages

> I've successfully setup a Bluetooth PAN on Linux Debian systems where I
> had to mount a USB bus at /proc/bus/usb. Is this also necessary on
> FreeBSD?

no, FreeBSD does not have /proc/bus/usb. Also PAN is not yet supported.

thanks
max