WEP & DHCP: Works with one card, not the other

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Sun Apr 13 06:28:50 PDT 2003

On 13 Apr 2003 at 22:28, Ulrich Plate wrote:

> I have two WLAN cards, an antique Orinoco Silver that only supports
> 40-bit-encryption, and a Netgear MA401. The Orinoco card works just fine
> with ifconfig_wi0="DHCP" in rc.conf and an additional start_if.wi0 that
> reads
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /sbin/ifconfig ssid XXXXX wepmode on weptxkey 3 wepkey 1:XXXXX 2:XXXXX 3:XXXXX 4:XXXXX
>
> but when I boot with the Netgear card in the slot, the exact same setup
> doesn't produce the expected result. The instructions from start_if.wi0
> are clearly accepted, but DHCP fails to obtain an IP address. I suspect
> the crypto portion to be at fault because manually assigning an IP
> address and adding a default route doesn't get the card online,
> either... man 8 ifconfig recommends hex keys because different drivers
> handle keys differently, could that be the reason why it doesn't work?

I have a similar problem in that dhclient is running, a lease has
been granted, but the NIC does not have an IP address.  My problem
occurs with an Orinoco card (I have both a Silver and Gold, and I
don't know if the problem occurs with both or just one).

I'd be interested if your use of a /tmp/foo solution works.  See
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=50947+0+archive/2003/free
bsd-mobile/20030413.freebsd-mobile

Thanks.
--