Thinkpad A31p recovery Partition

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Apr 6 07:40:03 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 10:23, Kit Mitchell wrote:
> Given that it has no floppy (just a cd) I was unable
> to create a rescue floppy and so far haven't found
> a recovery cd that is downloadable.  Any clues would
> be appreciated before I have to go crying to IBM for
> a probably unsupported fix.

If it's like the T30 then you can burn a bootable CD with the recovery
floppy image on it and it will happily boot from it.  Note that you will
need a Windows box with a floppy to run LOADDSKF.EXE, which you can
either extract from the recovery partition or download (Google will find
you lots of copies of it).

However, I haven't tried using the recovery image on a machine with only
FreeBSD on it; when I ran it on an XP-installed T30 it modified BOOT.INI
to boot from the recovery partition.  Also, IBM seems to be good at
changing things incompatibly so it's possible that this won't work on
the A31p.  :(

brandon s allbery [openafs/solaris/japh/freebsd] allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [linux/heimdal/too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering                              KF8NH
carnegie mellon university  [better check the oblivious first -ke6sls]