Trying to get MALTA64 running under qemu

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Oct 20 14:06:02 UTC 2014

On Oct 19, 2014, at 4:34 PM, Ben Morrow <ben at morrow.me.uk> wrote:

> Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On 18 October 2014 15:59, Ben Morrow <ben at morrow.me.uk> wrote:
>>> I'm considering buying an ERL to use as a local router, but before I did
>>> I thought I'd make sure the ports I want to run work properly with MIPS,
>>> so I'm trying to bring up a qemu-system-mips64 instance. I've built
>>> world and kernel (using MALTA64) for mips.mips64, and built a disk image
>>> following the instructions on the MipsEmulation page on the wiki. The
>>> source I am using is a slightly patched 10-STABLE from 2014-09-09; the
>>> patches have nothing to do with MIPS.
>>>
>>> However, when I try to bring qemu up, the system appears to hang after
>>> probing the ata devices. Over the course of about 30 seconds the qemu
>>> process goes up to 100% of one CPU, and no more output appears on the
>>> console. This appears to happen regardless of the disk images I pass to
>>> qemu; I've tried passing a UFS image, a file full of zeros, no disks at
>>> all, and (just in case) both -hda and -hdc. I've included the boot log
>>> below; I'd appreciate any advice.
>>
>> can you try qemu-devel?
>
> Thank you, that works. (Good God, it's slow... I wonder how hard it
> would be to replace cc with something that runs a cross-compiler on the
> host? Maybe I can do something with distcc...)

I’ve been helping Sean Bruno do exactly this, but I think for mips32. You build
a chroot with the full world, then you build x86 binaries to produce mips32/64
output and replace the cc, et al, in the chroot with those. Makes things quite
a bit faster. Still not quite as fast as a full native cross build, but much faster
than pure user mode and more reliable than the current state of the art in
cross building.

Warner