Trying to get MALTA64 running under qemu

Alexander Kabaev kabaev at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 01:31:24 UTC 2014

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 15:49:56 -0700
Juli Mallett <jmallett at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Ben Morrow <ben at morrow.me.uk> wrote:
>
> > Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > did
> > MIPS,
> > image

> > > can you try qemu-devel?
> >
> > Thank you, that works. (Good God, it's slow... I wonder how hard it
> > would be to replace cc with something that runs a cross-compiler on
> > the host? Maybe I can do something with distcc...)
> >

> The optimal thing here is to use a user-mode emulator, whereby you can
> effectively run a MIPS userland through qemu on a FreeBSD host, so
> all of the kernel stuff is being done natively - which is a lot for
> things like package building; others have done this for ARM, and I
> believe that one of the groups using FreeBSD/MIPS was looking at
> doing so for MIPS as well for the sake of package builds, etc.  You
> might create a new thread for user-mode MIPS emulation to see if any
> of the right people notice and respond, or perhaps dig into what the
> ARM folks have done.
>
> Thanks,
> Juli.

There is not much to it, usermode emulation for mips64 just works for
the purpose of the package building, that is how I have been doing it
for a while now. I did not get the cross-toolchain going on, but even
just running package builds under qemu-bsd-user on my amd64 machine lets
me take advantage of multiple CPUs and much less restrictive amounts of
memory and is a big win.

Five lines recipe:
1. build and install emulators/qemu-user-static port or use package
2. build and install mips64 world info some location,
say, make it /scratch/mips for the purpose of this recipe.
3. mount devfs info that image: sudo mount -t devfs
devfs /scratch/mips/dev
4. copy /usr/local/bin/qemu-mips64-static info some place within the
mips64 tree you have created
above. /scratch/mips/usr/local/bin/qemu-mips64-static will do nicely.
5. start the mips64 shell:
sudo chroot /scratch/mips /usr/local/bin/qemu-mips64-static /bin/sh

Voila, you are running in environment that is good enough to build many
of the ports.

Now, you can start playing with installing cross-tools into that image
so that compilers/linkers are native and you do not pay the price of
emulation to run them and start writing five line recipes for others :)

--
Alexander Kabaev