Request for review: AR71XX config cleanup

Alex RAY ray at ddteam.net
Mon Mar 15 21:23:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:23:34 -0600 (MDT)
"M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> In message: <20100315111756.05fd5805.ray at ddteam.net>
>             Alex RAY <ray at ddteam.net> writes:
> : Maybe umass and SCSI modules relocate from the std files to config files?
>
> I'm a little on the fence here.
>
> std.foo is supposed to have all the things that are in GENERIC.  In
> fact, I see sys/i386/GENERIC eventually being:
>
> ident GENERIC
> include "std.i386"
>
> So, if we view it from that point of view, it becomes clear that we
> want to include the usb/scsi stuff in std.ar71xx.  They are easy
> enough to omit if you had a system without usb:
>
> include "std.ar71xx"
> nodevice usb
> nodevice umass
> nodevice scbus
> nodevice da
>
> wouldn't be a horrible burden on people.
>
> But then again, USB on x86 includes everything, whereas I've only
> include umass.  If I'm going to subset, why this subset.  How would
> others know what the right subset would be for their boards, etc.
>
> So that's why I'm on the fence.  Once you start getting into the "this
> is sensible" game, then you have to start making seasoned judgements.
> Without a better definition of what a 'generic' kernel should have,
> or shouldn't have, I'm not sure there's a better way.
>
> Warner

I think it should do two types of config, one for SoC, the second for the boards on it.
First - just SoC can (in my BCM5354 cc, bfe, usb, wifi)
Second - what board need GPIOs (btn, LED, etc), flash partitions mapping etc.

Then std files hold SoC family defaults. (BCM5354, BCM4704 and BCM5836 very similar, so share one std file )

like so:
mips/conf/D-LINK_DIR-320 (include mips/conf/BCM5454)
mips/conf/ASUS_WRGXXXX (include mips/conf/BCM5354)

mips/conf/BCM5354 (include mips/bcm47xx/std.bcm)

.
.
.

-