Request for review: AR71XX config cleanup

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Mar 15 14:30:31 UTC 2010

In message: <20100315111756.05fd5805.ray at ddteam.net>
            Alex RAY <ray at ddteam.net> writes:
: Maybe umass and SCSI modules relocate from the std files to config files?

I'm a little on the fence here.

std.foo is supposed to have all the things that are in GENERIC.  In
fact, I see sys/i386/GENERIC eventually being:

ident GENERIC
include "std.i386"

So, if we view it from that point of view, it becomes clear that we
want to include the usb/scsi stuff in std.ar71xx.  They are easy
enough to omit if you had a system without usb:

include "std.ar71xx"
nodevice usb
nodevice umass
nodevice scbus
nodevice da

wouldn't be a horrible burden on people.

But then again, USB on x86 includes everything, whereas I've only
include umass.  If I'm going to subset, why this subset.  How would
others know what the right subset would be for their boards, etc.

So that's why I'm on the fence.  Once you start getting into the "this
is sensible" game, then you have to start making seasoned judgements.
Without a better definition of what a 'generic' kernel should have,
or shouldn't have, I'm not sure there's a better way.

Warner