HEADS UP: Toolchain changes coming soon. (Octeon, n32, n64)

C. Jayachandran c.jayachandran at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 06:34:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:31 AM, Juli Mallett <jmallett at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Over the next day or two I am planning to merge changes to GCC and
> binutils adding support for Octeon and the n32 and n64 ABIs, as well
> as fixing a couple of bugs in our GCC spec.  Note that the
> Octeon-related patches are necessary to support the Cavium Octeon
> Simple Executive, which I am planning to import after these changes
> have been committed, which will be terribly helpful for the Octeon
> port, in particular a new network driver and hopefully soon crypto and
> PCI support.
>
> If you have any questions or comments please get in touch with me.
> The contents of the patch may shift some before commit as I do testing
> on a wider variety of platforms.
>
> The full patch to GCC and binutils is at this URL, and I have
> reproduced the description below:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jmallett/mips-toolchain.diff
>
> o) Add TARGET_ABI to the MIPS toolchain build process.  This sets the
> default ABI to one of o32, n32 or n64.  If it is not set, o32 is
> assumed as that is the current default.
> o) Set the default GCC cpu type to any specified TARGET_CPUTYPE.  This
> is necessary to have a working "cc" if e.g. mips64 is specified, as
> binutils will refuse to link objects using different ISAs in some
> cases.
> o) Add support for n32 and n64 ABIs to binutils and GCC.
> o) Add additional required libgcc2 stubs for n32 and n64.
> o) Add support for the "mips64r2" architecture to GCC.  Add the "octeon"

GCC seems to have added mips64r2 support in 4.4
(http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.4/changes.html) which was a GPLv3 release,
so I was under the impression that we could not merge it into FreeBSD.
Is this a valid concern, or were you able to get the code re-licensed,
Or (the option which is most likely) am I completely off track here :)

Netlogic's next chip (XLP) too has MIPS64r2 ISA, so we are interested
in getting support for this.

Thanks,
JC.