Allowing remote java app to access local sound system

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Thu Jul 2 04:41:02 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-01 05:56, Ronald Klop wrote:

> Van: Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>
> Datum: woensdag, 1 juli 2020 14:43
> Aan: FreeBSD Mailing List <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>,
> freebsd-java at freebsd.org
> Onderwerp: Allowing remote java app to access local sound system
>>
>> I have a (java) app that works fine on a remote host and displays
>> it's GUI
>> by setting the DISPLAY environment variable.   The app also requires a
>> working microphone (and other audio output devices). Is there any way to
>> make it use the microphone/audio output on my local machine?   Note I
>> suspect I would need to do this transparently to Java.  I am pretty sure
>> Java has no idea how to do this on its own.
>>
>> --
>> Aryeh M. Friedman, Lead Developer, http://www.PetiteCloud.org
>>

> Maybe something like https://www.freshports.org/audio/nas might help.
>
> Regards,
> Ronald.

Java uses the ALSA sound system, so I'm not sure how NAS would help
unless you can configure ALSA to talk to it.  You could maybe look at
the alsa-sndio port and then configure it to connect to an sndiod
running locally on your machine.  I've never attempted this and I'll
note that alsa-sndio warns it only supports output not input, so that
likely won't help if you need the microphone to actually work.

-- Greg

*|/||/|*