this is probably a little touchy to ask...

Achilleas Mantzios achill at matrix.gatewaynet.com
Mon Sep 13 09:21:03 UTC 2010

Στις Saturday 11 September 2010 01:23:31 ο/η Rick C. Petty έγραψε:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 04:58:04PM +0300, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> >
> > Because tones of app(let)s were written on this technology, and those running them cannot afford rewriting them.
> > its easier to just fix the plugin than rewrite every applet on earth using javascript.
>
> Javascript doesn't provide everything that Java does, for example: threads,
> socket connections, audio, file system access, native integration, etc.
> Also although some implementations of javascript are quite fast, Java still
> outperforms them for most operations.  Also, DOM manipulation is terribly
> slow compared to Swing even.

You are correct. If someone is coming from a certain technological world,
he can tolerate the many drawbacks of javascript.
If he is coming from Unix/academics/open-computing world then it is hard
to live up with the perception of quality in javascript.

--
Achilleas Mantzios