this is probably a little touchy to ask...

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd2009 at kiwi-computer.com
Fri Sep 10 22:50:13 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 04:58:04PM +0300, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:

> Because tones of app(let)s were written on this technology, and those running them cannot afford rewriting them.
> its easier to just fix the plugin than rewrite every applet on earth using javascript.

Javascript doesn't provide everything that Java does, for example: threads,
socket connections, audio, file system access, native integration, etc.
Also although some implementations of javascript are quite fast, Java still
outperforms them for most operations.  Also, DOM manipulation is terribly
slow compared to Swing even.

Someone else wrote:

> > Java had its day.  Time to move on.

HTML5 can't do many of those things either.  Flash at least gives you
all of that except native integrations (which is unimportant for browsers).
Flash and Java won't go away until all of those problems are solved by
other means.  HTML5 is *not* the final solution for the web by any means.
Although, I'd take h.264 support any day over applets.  =)

-- Rick C. Petty