JDK1.6 or JDK6

Jiawei Ye leafy7382 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 11:06:27 PDT 2007

On 8/21/07, Mario Pavlov <freebsd at abv.bg> wrote:
> Hi
> No offence but if this is the reason I don't think that it is very good
> Java is Sun's software at all
> and they are in their right to say which is the next version
> In fact it's very common for the market name to sell/distribute the software
> for example if the big boss from corporation X have to decide whether the corporation migrates to OS FreeBSD or OS Y to run their super/mega/ultra Java software and he'll see that FreeBSD supports the very "old" Java 1.6 but OS Y supports the very "new" Java 6, what would he decide ? :)
>
> It's true that name is not in critical importance for the software to work but if all other accept the name Java 6 why would FreeBSD make difference ?
>
> Regards
> Mario

Well, Solaris 9 has a different version number than just "9", I think
it is both 2.9 and 5.9. Even Windows XP isn't versioned as "XP", but
Windows NT 5.1 (please correct me if I am wrong). So there is a
distinction between marketing brandname and the actual engineering
version number. I am not saying that using JDK/JRE 6 is wrong, but in
our ports context, I think using the engineering version number would
be more appropriate.

Just my 2 cents,

Cheers,

Jiawei Ye

--
"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck,
then to the end user it's a duck, and end users have made it pretty