JDK1.6 or JDK6

Mario Pavlov freebsd at abv.bg
Tue Aug 21 05:48:56 PDT 2007

 >On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 10:13:03AM +0300, Mario Pavlov wrote:
 >> Hi guys,
 >> As far as I know Sun switched the naming convention since JDK1.5/JDK5, these both were correct but next versions should be JDK6, JDK7, JDK8, etc..
 >> So I think that java/jdk1.6 should be renamed to java/jdk6
 >> Please correct me if I'm wrong, maybe there is a reason for the name of the port.
 >
 >Check out the output of "java -version". As Greg Lewis informed me
 >earlier, the FreeBSD port follows the developers' version numbering,
 >and not Sun's marketing department's.
 >
 >Cheers.
 >--
 >Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>
 >                                                          Jesus saves.
 >                                                       Allah forgives.
 >                             Cthulu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Hi
No offence but if this is the reason I don't think that it is very good
Java is Sun's software at all
and they are in their right to say which is the next version
In fact it's very common for the market name to sell/distribute the software
for example if the big boss from corporation X have to decide whether the corporation migrates to OS FreeBSD or OS Y to run their super/mega/ultra Java software and he'll see that FreeBSD supports the very "old" Java 1.6 but OS Y supports the very "new" Java 6, what would he decide ? :)

It's true that name is not in critical importance for the software to work but if all other accept the name Java 6 why would FreeBSD make difference ?

Regards
Mario

P.S.
Sorry for the spam in the bottom of my mails, I can't switch it off, it's because of the web client I use

ZOOM – създай личен сайт, открий нови приятели!
http://www.zoom.bg/