Why do you run/prefer Java on FreeBSD?

Tomas Verbaitis tomasv at megalogika.lt
Fri Aug 3 11:03:48 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 11:03:02AM +0200, Ernst de Haan wrote:
>  - why do you run Java on FreeBSD (instead of Solaris or Linux)?

our company is FreeBSD shop mostly, serverside it's all we use.

>  - do you consider Java on FreeBSD fast?

browser applets are slowish, standalone apps work ok, serverside --
faster than satisfactory

>  - do you consider it stable/reliable?

on production servers Tomcat / ProgramD combo achieved half a year
uptime, without being touched much. on development machines, especially
current they tend to crash within 3-4 days, but that's because too much
mangling.. afterall, i consider Java on FreeBSD reliable enough to run
mission critical systems on it.

>  - do you consider it secure?

our applications were not compromised because of JVM insecurity, as far
as i know.

>  - which version of Java are you running?

production:

java version "1.5.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build diablo-1.5.0-b01)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build diablo-1.5.0_07-b01, mixed mode)

development:

java version "1.5.0_12-p6"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_12-p6-tomasv_01_aug_2007_18_20)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_12-p6-tomasv_01_aug_2007_18_20, mixed mode)

>  - was the installation of Java easy or a pain? (or somewhere in between?)

i'd say in between, as manual downloads of source files and patchsets
slightly interrupt usual FreeBSD ports' installation flow. otherwise,
it's pretty much glitch free.

>  - how important is Java 1.6 for you?

not important business wise for at least a year more, very important as
a way to follow current trends and developments

--
Tomas "Verbaitis" Verbaitis ** http://megalogika.lt