Why do you run/prefer Java on FreeBSD?

Andrew Reilly andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org
Fri Aug 3 08:50:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 11:03:02AM +0200, Ernst de Haan wrote:
> - why do you run Java on FreeBSD (instead of Solaris or Linux)?

FreeBSD is what I use.  I don't have any Solaris or Linux machines.
(I also use it on OS-X and Windows, from time to time.)

> - do you consider Java on FreeBSD fast?

Fast enough.

> - do you consider it stable/reliable?

Yes.

> - do you consider it secure?

Secure enough for what I'm doing (no external servers).

> - which version of Java are you running?

jdk-1.5.0.11p5,1
sometimes also sablevm and gcj

> - was the installation of Java easy or a pain? (or somewhere in
> between?)

Installation relatively painful due to manual fetch.  Ports build
dead easy.

> - how important is Java 1.6 for you?

I'll get to it when it arrives on FreeBSD.

--
Andrew