[RFC] ia64/sparc64 jdk 1.5.0 ports?

Panagiotis Astithas past at ebs.gr
Thu Jan 20 00:01:25 PST 2005

Ian G wrote:
> Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
>
>>  "that might consider deploying FreeBSD..."
>

> Given the amount of work in getting Java to run
> on FreeBSD, I think it's a bit of a stretch to think
> about "maybes."  It's wonderful to think of all
> these platforms that FreeBSD could run on, and
> Sparc machines are nice .... but (!) some poor
> muggins has to do the work, and when they are
> doing Sparc work, it means they are *not* doing
> other work.
>
> (Thanks for all that work, guys!)

I had the same reservations about other platform support and that is why
I said I am "not sure either should be high-priority items". But then I
considered that it is other people's time and effort we are talking
about, so who am I to tell them what to do :-)

> Also, those very same institutions
> (banks mostly) will quite happily buy another
> commodity PC if they want to play around with
> (Java on) FreeBSD.  The cost of the management of
> an OS on a commodity PC is well in excess of the
> value of the PC, for a bank.  It's IMHO a mistake
> to think that old hardware has anything but
> negative cost associated with it, banks would
> be burning up money just even thinking about
> putting another OS on it for fun....
>
> All IMHO!
>
> iang

The organizations I had in mind were mostly from the academic and ISP
world. Publicly funded universities in particular have large deployments
of Sun hardware from the 90's and are always on a tight budget, at least
here in Greece. They are also large adopters of grids and grid-like
infrastructure for scientific reasearch (not necessarily IT-related), so
they seem like a good fit. The best new though is that quite a few of
them are consolidating their infrastructure on FreeBSD.

For deployment in banks I agree with you. Not to mention that their
staff here have this saying, that "nobody got fired for buying IBM" :-)

Cheers,

Panagiotis