timerfd in FreeBSD jail?

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Tue Sep 6 13:19:21 UTC 2016

On 06/09/2016 12:35, Martin "eto" Misuth wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 11:38:23 +0000
> Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to compile dart-sdk in Centos 6 that's running in a FreeBSD
>> jail. I am getting the following error:
>>
>> runtime/bin/eventhandler_linux.cc:114: error: Failed creating timerfd
>> file descriptor: 38
> You probably already understand, that this is caused by Linux kernel
> specific techology called timerfd (file descriptor acting as timer/clock).
> As far as I know FreeBSD doesn't support many such specifically Linux only
> features natively.
>
> Although there is Linux API emulator provided as kernel module, this is not 100%
> compatible (it lags a bit behind the times given pace at which Linux rolls).
> Usually older software works, but you might have problem with never one.
>
> Second complication is jail, you need to recreate Linux emulation setup
> in-jail, if you plan to use "Linux jails".
>
> As you wrote "Centos 6 jail", I guess your jail, is an real Linux jail (you have
> Linux emulation enabled on host and expose Linux emulated interfaces in
> jail and all other necessery things, and Linux binaries work).
>
> In that case you are out of luck, until FreeBSD Linux emu layer gains timerfd
> support (what I guess won't happen anytime soon).
>
> However things you can still do, is to check whether this dart-sdk codebase
> doesn't provides compile time option to use alternative mechanisms for timing,
> as config option.
>
> As timerfd is relatively new (circa 2007), codebase might have provisions
> for some other mechanism.
>
>> Is this a limitation of the jail or I need to enable something to have
>> it available?
>>
>> Grzegorz
> This is limitation of Linux emulation.
>
>    eto

OK, I was hoping that this is similar to creating ping sockets in jail,
that it needs to be enabled on the host for jail to actually be able to
execute ping. How would I know that this is not implemented in the linux
emulation layer rather than disabled on the host?

And yes, I have the linux environment enabled and set up in the jail and
it mostly works fine. But I didn't put it under any stress yet. I will
see if the dart-sdk package can be somehow compiled without the timer_fd
options.

Thanks
Grzegorz